Earth Hour is this Thursday, March 27 from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. and, while this may be a bit past your little one’s bedtime, we have come up with a few fun ways to embrace the spirit of Earth Hour with young kids.
The beautiful night sky, made more visible during Earth Hour, as we reduce our reliance on electricity and power sources, serves as inspiration for a kids indoor campout, complete with tent, campfire and a delicious snack.
Try these fun early Earth Hour activities this weekend and talk with your little ones about the importance of reducing our environmental footprint.
Make S’mores Dip
Is there anything more delicious than a roasted marshmallow? This s’mores dip gives you the campfire experience, without the camping!
- Milk chocolate chips
- Marshmallows (mini or regular)
- Graham crackers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add a layer of chocolate chips to the bottom of a small cast iron (or oven-safe pan).
- Add a layer of marshmallows, covering the chocolate chips.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Switch oven to broil and cook on the top rack for 2 minutes, or until the marshmallows are a golden brown.
- For young kids, scoop the s’mores dip out of the hot pan and into a shallow bowl or plate to avoid contact with the hot pan.
- Serve with graham crackers for dipping!
Don't forget to share your ooey gooey pictures with us @ohgoodycanada
Build a Crafty Campfire
Nothing says starry night like a crackling fire! This easy craft gives you and your little ones a chance to get outside and explore, even if you don’t have a real backyard firepit.
- Small rocks and sticks
- Cardboard box or compostable paper plate
- Hot glue gun (adult supervision required)
- Coloured tissue paper
- Go on a nature walk and have your kids pick out some small rocks and sticks.
- Using a circle cut from a cardboard cereal box or a compostable paper plate as a base, hot glue the rocks into a circle shape.
- Glue the sticks onto the rocks in a criss-cross pattern.
- Crinkle yellow, orange and red tissue paper and glue onto the sticks to create a faux fire.
Don't forget to share your campfire with us @ohgoodycanada
Have an Indoor Campout
With a nice hot fire from your Campfire Craft and an ooey gooey Easy S'mores Dip snack, get your campsite set up using pillows, blankets or a tent.
Set out your campfire and grab a flashlight, turn off the lights and enjoy an early Earth Hour campout before bedtime.
Share your campout with us @ohgoodycanada
To learn more about Earth Hour, visit https://www.earthhour.org