Is there anything better than a classic sugar cookie? This versatile cookie recipe is perfect for holidays, birthday parties or anytime! Invite your kids into the kitchen to help with this easy, no-fail sweet treat.
- 3/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- Mix butter and sugar in a stand mixer on high speed until creamed and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla to butter and sugar and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in flour mixture on low speed.
- Gather dough into a ball, wrap with parchment paper and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Tip: dough can be made the day before and kept refrigerated overnight until ready to bake.
- Sprinkle flour on a smooth counter or pastry mat and roll the dough out to about 1/2 cm thick. Tip: work with half of the dough at a time to keep dough cool and easy to roll.
- Use your favourite cookie cutters to make shapes and place on a baking sheet. Tip: Use a silicone baking mat and an insulated baking sheet for best results.
- Refrigerate dough shapes on baking sheets for 30 minutes and then bake for 6 minutes. Tip: cookies will not look browned, but they will be perfectly soft once cooled.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheets and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Ice cookies with your favourite buttercream.
Adapted from Sesame Street Cookie Monster Cookie Dough Recipe, originally published in 1971.